Whatbird Community

Yes, Western Willet specifically with the long legs, paler gray overall and thin, long bill.

12 hours ago, akiley said:

And Easterns are gone from the US in the winter.

The distribution maps from Cornell website AllAboutBirds and BNA Online show a year-round population (does not state whether W/E) on the Gulf Coast (where pic was taken) and that Easterns migrate March and Westerns March-May.  

12 hours ago, akiley said:

Yes, Western Willet specifically with the long legs, paler gray overall and thin, long bill.

I will just call it "Willet, non-breeding adult".  

23 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I will just call it "Willet, non-breeding adult".  

Fine, but this is not an Eastern at all. Western without a question.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akiley said:

Fine, but this is not an Eastern at all. Western without a question.

No intent to question your expertise.   I can only call it what I, as a novice birder, am comfortable with.  

6 minutes ago, floraphile said:

No intent to question your expertise.   I can only call it what I, as a novice birder, am comfortable with.  

Just so you know, it was seriously considered by the ABA to split the two subspecies, and was supported by many birders. They are very likely different species, so you may as well learn how to separate them now and stay ahead of the curve!

Edited by egosnell2002
  • Like 2

Great point, egosnell.  Learning how to most accurately ID birds is the whole reason this site exists.  My apologies, akiley, if I seemed dismissive of your expertise.   I have been reading all the field guides and birding articles I can find on the subject of W/E, and agree this is Western.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

Great point, egosnell.  Learning how to most accurately ID birds is the whole reason this site exists.  My apologies, akiley, if I seemed dismissive of your expertise.   I have been reading all the field guides and birding articles I can find on the subject of W/E, and agree this is Western.  

No problem at all. I just like to point out Willets by subspecies when possible for the exact reason @egosnell2002 mentioned. 

• Like 1