Whatbird Community
Winter

Thrush- Hermit, Grey-Cheeked or Swainsons Thrush?

Saw this little thrush hop up onto the deck for some mealworms yesterday in Montgomery County Maryland. 

I didn't notice any of the usual reddish/rufous coloring around the tail that once typically sees in the Hermiit Thrush and seemed a little smaller as well. 

This photo is taken with my  iPhone, (which is cracked) so I'm sorry the quality isn't any better. 

What do you guys think? 

IMG_5285.JPG

11 minutes ago, Winter said:

I didn't notice any of the usual reddish/rufous coloring around the tail that once typically sees in the Hermiit Thrush and seemed a little smaller as well. 

I'll get better with these thrushes but, I think it's a hermit. I THINK I see some of that more reddish-brown color on the edge of the tail BUT, I can't see the top of the tail to be certain that's what I'm seeing. The eye-ring looks real good. The hermit thrush(after just looking in a field guide) is one of the smallest thrushes you'll see there so, it's not something smaller than a hermit thrush. And the hermit thrush is all that "should" be there right now.
So, Hermit has my vote but wait on some of the more experienced to chime in. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, millipede said:

I'll get better with these thrushes but, I think it's a hermit. I THINK I see some of that more reddish-brown color on the edge of the tail BUT, I can't see the top of the tail to be certain that's what I'm seeing. The eye-ring looks real good. The hermit thrush(after just looking in a field guide) is one of the smallest thrushes you'll see there so, it's not something smaller than a hermit thrush. And the hermit thrush is all that "should" be there right now.
So, Hermit has my vote but wait on some of the more experienced to chime in. 🙂

Thanks Millipede! I agree that it makes most sense that this is a Hermit Thrush at this time of the year. The one thing that is perplexing to me, though, is that when I was looking at it from the back, I didn’t see any of the contrasting rufous/russet reddish coloring  in the tail at all, neither near the base nor in the feathers -  just uniform gray which is unlike the Hermit Thrushes I see every spring. It was a very sunny, bright afternoon yesterday too, albeit cold, so I feel I definitely should have I seen it in such lighting. Or maybe my eyes are worse than I thought LOL! 

Unfortunately, my iPhone camera tends to wash out some of the grayer hues and inadvertently brings out more yellows than what actually exist. Wish I had a better camera. I’m going to go back and see if I can find it tomorrow or over the weekend and I’ll see if I can borrow a better camera 

Thanks you both Akiley and millipede, filing it as Hermit Thush - and the first one of the year for me! Very excited as I usually only ever see them out in the woods (if I’m lucky). I think I saw one come onto the deck last winter when it was snowing but I wasn’t 100% sure it was. HT so I left it off my count. Love this little guy- shy but with a bit of curiosity in its personality (or it being ravenous trumped any fear it had). Thanks again!