Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
tclarkwood

Bluebird Nesting Spring 2019

The pair on my property installed a fresh nest in the box over the weekend. They built the nest in 3 days or less because I looked in the box on Thursday and it was completely empty.  If you remember from my posts last year, this pair actually laid eggs in March.  Be interested to see if they do it 2 years in a row. Usually, Bluebirds start nesting in April or even May.  I'm assuming it is the same pair.  That may be a bad assumption so someone that knows more about Bluebirds may explain the chances of this being the same pair. They act the same... Ha ha! 

May see a hatch by midweek next week. I did not get a final egg count but when I looked on March 23rd there were 2 eggs.  I will check this weekend. 

3 of 5 eggs have hatched as of yesterday.  They should all be hatched by this point. Mom and Dad bluebird are already taking small worms to the box.  We have a had a ton of rain so there are earth worms on the ground everywhere.  Hopefully, we will see a fully successful fledge with this first brood.  Last year, Mr. Racoon wrecked my box with the second brood.  I never figured out how he got around the baffle unless he was able to jump 5 feet up into the air and grab the box on top of the baffle.  Have not seen any racoons any this year so far!   Let's hope for the best! 😂

Well, we are about 7 days after hatch and the babies are working the parents to death.  We should see a fledge the week of April 29th.  Probably the same mating pair since they are showing the same tendencies of starting early in the season. 

We have a Tufted Titmouse making a nest on 2 of our "Bluebird" houses. We think it is the same pair making 2 nests.  We don't know which one they will finally choose.  They are visiting both of them.  If we get eggs, I will share the live video stream.  🎥

Titmouse video - ignore the noise.  I don't know what that is. 

Y_2019-04-17_13-16-25

Edited by Spyonabird
screwed up the video link...
  • Like 1

5 blue eggs in the box at my mother's house in North Alabama.  Have not seen the parents sitting on the eggs much this past weekend so I am a little concerned since it got down to 42 degrees Saturday morning.  They are good about sneaking in and out of that box without being noticed so there may be no reason for concern.