Whatbird Community

Woodpecker?

it's amazing how lighting can play with your mind, or eyes. I could see how the top looks red enough to be a woodpecker. In fact, at quick glance my first thought was chipping sparrow because of that color. In the field, I NEVER see color like that on a swamp sparrow. But the facial markings are better for a swamp sparrow than a chipping. All that was to say that one little piece of the puzzle can have you seeing something that's not there sometimes.
I'm not a fan of ID'ing sparrows at all... and much less when I can't see the whole bird... I'll give a soft second to the swamp sparrow ID.

• Like 2

Yes... Bright Light has been a huge factor in this case. That, and I am a novice. A swamp sparrow would have never occurred to me. In fact after the first is I looked at the other pics of swamp sparrows and still found it hard to believe until the  other two confirmations.

But, this picture was taken in a huge swamp.. So, duh.... 🙂. Thanks for the time. I will put it down as a swamp sparrow.

Regards,

in the first picture..is that the bill sticking out from behind the blade of grass?  if so seems the wrong shape and size for a sparrow.  But I a terrible as IDing sparrows (among others)  and the face seems different from my guide

did i miss where and when this picture was taken

3 minutes ago, jcarscadden said:

in the first picture..is that the bill sticking out from behind the blade of grass?  if so seems the wrong shape and size for a sparrow.

It is sticking out from behind the reeds in both photos.  It is being distorted by lighting and photo quality.  It is without a doubt a Swamp Sparrow.