Whatbird Community

type of falcon

My daughter looked over and spit out "prairie falcon."  So there's another option. I looked in the field guide and the markings around the eye here make me think it can't be a gyrfalcon. I'm not going to make any claims trying to ID this from the back alone but did want to add, this is a great photo for us to work with.  Love it.  And welcome...

This is a good one....picture great but i cannot ID it.....Looked at all three (prairie, peregrine and gryfalcon)   to me closed to dark morph gryfalcon but while have been spotted in NJ it is considerably of normal range...Head lacked "sideburns"  of peregrine or prarie  

I will pass this one on

Edited by jcarscadden

I too looked at photos of prairie, peregrine and gryfalcon and think it most resembles the dark or gray morph gryfalcon. My thoughts are  - there is a faint white eyebrow line, small white area in front of a delicate white eye ring, whitish cheek patch, the "weak" mustache and also in the notes I read about the vertical feather striping which this photo has too. Also each feather is outlined in a lighter color which is very distinct. Here is a Gryfalcon photo I snipped from allaboutbirds

image.png.1b61707ba01b9eff55d1f4cd3a3ed491.png

29 minutes ago, Kerri said:

I too looked at photos of prairie, peregrine and gryfalcon and think it most resembles the dark or gray morph gryfalcon. My thoughts are  - there is a faint white eyebrow line, small white area in front of a delicate white eye ring, whitish cheek patch, the "weak" mustache and also in the notes I read about the vertical feather striping which this photo has too. Also each feather is outlined in a lighter color which is very distinct. Here is a Gryfalcon photo I snipped from allaboutbirds

image.png.1b61707ba01b9eff55d1f4cd3a3ed491.png

thanks

14 hours ago, millipede said:

My daughter looked over and spit out "prairie falcon."  So there's another option. I looked in the field guide and the markings around the eye here make me think it can't be a gyrfalcon. I'm not going to make any claims trying to ID this from the back alone but did want to add, this is a great photo for us to work with.  Love it.  And welcome...

thanks