Whatbird Community

This bird was REALLY far away; I wasn't even sure it was a bird at first. I realized after I shot I was way overexposed (1st photo). I changed my settings looked up to shoot again, and the bird was gone. I edited the best I could in Lightroom (the other two photos). The closest I can guess is Northern Harrier, but the head just looks strange to me. We have loads of Red-tails around here, but it doesn't look quite right for that either. But I am not that familiar with these birds to know their different morphs and variations so help is appreciated. This was a couple days ago.

Thanks so much!

IMG_5076 (3)

IMG_5076-2

IMG_5076

Yes, looks like a Northern Harrier. I get the impression of facial discs from. It bugged me that the tail seems short, but that may have to do with the perching angle of the bird.

did you happen to see it in flight.  I just saw my first outside of Las Vegas and when they fly there is a conspicuous white patch near where the tail meet the body - this one was ID'd for me by the staff at he Clark County Wetland in Las Vegas in February of this year...a juvenile I believe

46462026105_38c639189f_b.jpgjuvenile Northern Harrier 2 by Jim Carscadden, on Flickr