Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
southisland

Bird Wallpapers

Why not start up a WhatBird wallpaper/desktop background section!?

I was a member in the past and just recently started up a new account here again. I have been birding now for 3 years and still have much to learn.

Thank you WhatBird for giving us this forum and for making it possible to upload and share our photos directly to the forum. It was a pleasant surprise to see this upload policy change when I returned.

And thank you fellow birders for helping out beginners, such as myself, and for sharing freely your many excellent photographs and expertise.

This osprey wallpaper I just made is a first for me, and is the only photo I have ever watermarked. I have always had reservations about sharing my very best photos but have decided to do it here and risk them being monetized without my permission. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on resolutions/sizes, watermarking, and the sharing of copyright photos whether it be here or elsewhere.

Happy birding!

Tom

osprey_wallpaper_1920x1080_copyright_tom_hosie.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, southisland said:

Why not start up a WhatBird wallpaper/desktop background section!?

I was a member in the past and just recently started up a new account here again. I have been birding now for 3 years and still have much to learn.

Thank you WhatBird for giving us this forum and for making it possible to upload and share our photos directly to the forum. It was a pleasant surprise to see this upload policy change when I returned.

And thank you fellow birders for helping out beginners, such as myself, and for sharing freely your many excellent photographs and expertise.

This osprey wallpaper I just made is a first for me, and is the only photo I have ever watermarked. I have always had reservations about sharing my very best photos but have decided to do it here and risk them being monetized without my permission. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on resolutions/sizes, watermarking, and the sharing of copyright photos whether it be here or elsewhere.

Happy birding!

Tom

osprey_wallpaper_1920x1080_copyright_tom_hosie.JPG

That's a beautiful osprey!

Seattle,

Yes. Gorgeous osprey and a lucky encounter!

I was just leaving the beach (tried to get shots of osprey diving/fishing) and he landed right above me. Had my entry-level Canon T6i fitted with a rented (and very nice) Canon 100-400mm IS II.

On 3/30/2019 at 12:37 AM, southisland said:

Seattle,

Yes. Gorgeous osprey and a lucky encounter!

I was just leaving the beach (tried to get shots of osprey diving/fishing) and he landed right above me. Had my entry-level Canon T6i fitted with a rented (and very nice) Canon 100-400mm IS II.

Rented?  You can rent cameras?

Very nice Osprey!

As far as resolution goes, of course it depends on your computer screen size but 16x9 is a standard format that can be mildly cropped to different screens without too much alteration to the photo. I watermark most of my photos unless I don't really care about it. It's just an unobtrusive but noticeable name in the bottom right corner.

My desktop background is currently a Great Gray Owl (it's a different slightly better framed photo for a wallpaper than this but it's similar):

p2083290_orig.jpg

But I'm one of those people who neatly arranges all my desktop icons in a row on one side of the screen. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Rented?  You can rent cameras?

Rented that lens, I use my own Canon DSLR and mediocre kit lenses. A local shop here rents all sorts of camera gear - including very nice cameras.

https://www.camera-traders.com/rental-equipment/

Literally anything can be rented if you know where to look. A fun one is renting costumes from a local theatre supply house for Halloween, and you can rent props and even a stage set! I was thinking about renting a goat or two this summer to mow my lawn. No kidding - Rent-a-Goat. Someone was actually renting out rabbits here last week (to placate the kids wanting their own) to help keep down the spur-of-the-moment rabbit sales on Easter. Trying to find a new home to rent...not so easy.