Whatbird Community

I'm thinking Red-shouldered, with the longish tail with dark bars wider than light, and the translucent crescent on the primaries when they're spread.  Definitely leucistic on a couple wing feathers.

• Like 1

Would a Northern Harrier be ruled out? They have the dark/light wide tail band and I think I see a bit of an "owlish mask".

This is a  young Red-shouldered Hawk. The tail pattern fits, as well as the wing crescents in the flight shot as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with young Red-shouldered.  Harriers have longer wings with a different underwing pattern and a smaller head with a unique face shape.  Young Cooper's Hawks have different tail, back, and head patterns, bright yellow eyes, longer tails, and shorter wings.  Red-tailed Hawks have shorter tails, dark patagial marks, and they're usually bulkier with larger bills.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

I'm always amazed at the knowledge displayed on this site.  I think all the evidence points to juvenile red-shouldered and will label it as such in my photo album. Thanks to all for your thoughts and expertise!