Whatbird Community

agreed... but, is it holding something in its bill? I love it(kind of, sometimes hate) when something in a picture looks like a body party but probably isn't. HA

Maybe it's an odd overgrown bill, but I know it was the bill because the bird moved to different places and always seemed to be using the bill to dig under the rocks searching for something.  It was a very long curved bill.   It looked very much like the woodpeckers we have here but much smaller - did not look like a juvenile; about the size of a robin.  most mysterious.  We've lived here since the early 70's and have never seen any bird like it before.  Thanks for all your fast quick help.  Any other thoughts are welcome.

• Like 1

how strange! thanks for sharing. i have seen some unusual bills before but that shape/size is quite dramatic. it is unmistakably an acorn woodpecker though 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments.  I came across this forum quite by chance (looking to identify this bird) and I think it will be most informative and great fun!

• Like 2

Dear Millipede - I'll certainly get more photos if I can - fascinating.  Of course, I could do what the way-back-when bird identifiers did:  kill it and then scrutinize.  Seems awfully cruel and I'm sure glad we don't id creatures that way any more! 

• Like 1