Whatbird Community
Geam Liang

Small yellowish belly and vent

Taken on April 8/Sunday, late morning along some service roads behind the Yosemite Sierra Inn, Oakhurst.  I've just got 2 shots before it flew away.

VV1.jpg

VV2.jpg

I will defer to your expertise since I am not local to the US but am more familiar with tropical birds.  I do have photos of what I think is the Oak Titmouse or Plain Titmouse and they're taken on that morning at roughly the same location.  They look different, with the little 'tuft' on the head?  Also, I've not done any enhancement that would change the colour in any way to the above pictures.  Here is what I think is the Oak Titmouse. 

Plain Titmouse2.jpg

Plain Titmouse5.jpg

3 minutes ago, southisland said:

whoops I'm 7 hrs. late - not a male bushtit! Oak titmouse cause of the fancy hairdo

Haha... no worries.. but what about the 1st 2 pictures?  Yellowish belly (minus the fancy hairdooo  

There are no bushtits here.  Oak Titmouse is correct for all photos.  Bushtits have longer tails, are slimmer overall, and lack any hint of a crest.  Even in the first few photos you can see a point near the back of the head where the crest is lowered.  The yellow staining phenomenon can surely be applied to other species, not just Bushtits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

There are no bushtits here.  Oak Titmouse is correct for all photos.  Bushtits have longer tails, are slimmer overall, and lack any hint of a crest.  Even in the first few photos you can see a point near the back of the head where the crest is lowered.  The yellow staining phenomenon can surely be applied to other species, not just Bushtits. 

Well, my bushtits pig-out on the hummingbird feeder all day and look like golf balls. Seriously, thanks for your expertise IvoryBillHope, time for me to log-out zzzzz