Whatbird Community
Geam Liang

Sleek shrike-like brownish bird

Posted (edited)

We went for a Bahamas cruise which included a stop at Key West which is where I spotted and photographed this bird high up on the electric pole.  This is on April 26, 2018.   I'm not sure if the 3rd and 4th photos is the same species or a different species of bird.  Same vicinity.

AB1.jpg

AB3.jpg

QQ1.jpg

QQ2.jpg

Edited by Geam Liang
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Northern Mockingbird is correct. 

All the 4 pictures are the same bird?  i.e. Northern Mockingbird?

4 minutes ago, southisland said:

I'll defer to IvoryBillHope but I went all in and it's to late now!

Possibly the female...?  I'm holding my breadth...

13 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Yes all Northern Mockingbirds.  The species isn’t sexually dimorphic so I can’t determine male/female. 

Thank you.  There is so much to figure out, sexual dimorphism is one, then some birds have breeding and non-breeding plumage and others like the Sunbirds we have locally may have an eclipse plumage... All the more to learn I guess.  I so appreciate this.  Looking forward to another trip at the end of the year... hmmm, might not get to see many birds since they migrate south right?  Going to Minneapolis 

8 hours ago, Geam Liang said:

Looking forward to another trip at the end of the year... hmmm, might not get to see many birds since they migrate south right?  Going to Minneapolis 

There are birds that breed in Canada that may move south into Minnesota for the winter.  Some of these are reliable migrants.  Some may appear depending on the distribution of their preferred winter food sources, and are called 'irruptives'.  

You can go to eBird to show you the species that can be expected in an area during a given month. 

https://ebird.org/hotspots

56 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

There are birds that breed in Canada that may move south into Minnesota for the winter.  Some of these are reliable migrants.  Some may appear depending on the distribution of their preferred winter food sources, and are called 'irruptives'.  

You can go to eBird to show you the species that can be expected in an area during a given month. 

https://ebird.org/hotspots

Thank you.  There is hope!   My daughter is in the U of M, so it's either she comes home or I/wife/we go over for a visit.