Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

Yesterday I spotted two birds in flight while crossing a bridge over a bayou in South Louisiana.  They appeared to be about crow-sized or a little larger.  One appeared to be black or mostly black but the other had pure white wings and a pure white head against its black body.  I believe they also had orange beaks.  I've looked at several sources and cannot find a bird like this so I'm thinking it is an unusual morph or a mutation.  Any ideas what it may have been?

Edited by ShellBelle82

Welcome to Whatbird!

A crow-sized black bird with an orange bill might be a Double-crested Cormorant.  White wings and head and a black body sounds very strange, so it might be something with abnormal plumage.  (Unusual white in the plumage is called leucism.)  Or maybe a glare effect, depending on how good a look you got.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

With all respect to @Jerry Friedman and @The Bird Nuts, the Double-Crested Cormorants and Anhingas around these parts are two to three times the size of a crow.

Equally respectfully, going by the measurements in Sibley's, Double-crested Cormorants average almost twice the length of crows and just a third more in wingspan.  I should have said "apparently crow-sized", but while driving and with no basis comparison, someone could easily say a Double-crested was crow-sized or a little larger.

• Like 2

Maybe Rock Pigeons, which do not have orange bills. Or maybe American Oystercatchers, which which do have orange bills.