Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

We live about 10 miles inland from the south coast of South Carolina. Just saw a bird smaller than a cardinal that had a deep yellow head and a tannish body. Could not get a fix on the beak but my impression was more of a finch beak than a warbler beak. Very skittish. In 7 years hear we have never seen one. Did not find him in Sibleys. Thanks.

Edited by Herkybird
More information.

Maybe an American Goldfinch, possibly a male in non-breeding plumage?  Do juvenile males molt into adult colors, or do they go straight to winter plumage until the next breeding season?

Good morning Herkybird. I saw this bird on my patio this morning. I am in Jacksonville NC. Never saw this before either. I found this forum trying to identify it. I am trying to attach a pic. 

93770666-309D-4144-99FB-986B2A43FCF4.jpeg

13AFFAD4-DDE1-46BF-864F-2EB1696FD78C.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GenNC said:

Good morning Herkybird. I saw this bird on my patio this morning. I am in Jacksonville NC. Never saw this before either. I found this forum trying to identify it. I am trying to attach a pic. 

93770666-309D-4144-99FB-986B2A43FCF4.jpeg

13AFFAD4-DDE1-46BF-864F-2EB1696FD78C.jpeg

Welcome to Whatbird! That's a Prothonotary Warbler. Nice! 

Just a note- it's usually better to start your own thread rather than posting your bird on an existing one.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GenNC said:

@GenNC, by any chance do you live near a swamp?  That's the usual habitat for Prothonotaries.

Yes we have many creek and swampy tributaries to New River. I looked up this bird and Thais it. Thanks so much I will be watching for their return.