Whatbird Community

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of one. Almost all brown, slightly larger than a blue jay.  White vertical stripe on back of head, little bit of white on underside of tail, black band on throat/chest.  Tail is short, beak is kind of long and narrow, somewhat like a woodpecker.  I see them in southeastern Ohio from time to time, mostly in wooded areas.  I have looked in every book I can find and on this site, and can't find anything like it.  Thanks

Pretty much solid brown,  except the white on back of head and under tail, and black band on throat. I've only seen it sitting in trees or flying. Thanks

• Like 1

Only one at a time, and not frequently, since they seem to prefer wooded areas, but I've seen 2 in the last week. It reminds me a bit of a large woodpecker, but almost all brown.

• Like 1

I'm stumped!  Northern Flicker and Eastern Meadowlark are two birds that I can think of with black bands in the throat/breast area and long, narrow beaks, but the rest doesn't fit at all...

• Like 1

Northern flicker is probably the closest I've seen,  but I can't find any pictures where they are almost solid brown or with a white stripe on the back of the head. The bird I have seen has no spotting like what I've seen in flicker pictures.  The general shape and size of a flicker is similar though. I've seen a  bird like this over the last couple years. My stepdad says it's a wood thrush but the pictures of them don't look similar.  Thanks

Does it tilt its head/bill up like a Robin/thrushes? Are the legs long and/or what color? 

Posted (edited)

A Varied Thrush has a black breast band but it doesn't quite fit the rest of your description. What was the lighting like when you saw the bird? Any chance shadows were making the bird look browner than it really was?  🙂

Edited by lonesome55dove
  • Like 1