Whatbird Community

2 raptors over Orlando 5 mins apart

Taken on April 21, from where I was staying which is about a 10 minute drive from Sea World.  Pics 1&2 are taken at 9:41am, while Pics 3,4&5 are taken (same location) at 9:44-9:45am.  They are 2 different birds.  Pic1&2 looks like a smallish Sea Eagle I often see back home (South East Asia) but I've no idea what it is.  Pic3-5.. 2nd bird, could it be a Cooper's Hawk?  Thanks for any help to ID them.

Orlando E0.jpg

Orlando E1.jpg

Orlando E2.jpg

Orlando E3.jpg

Orlando E6.jpg

Note that Ospreys are only distant relative to eagles, hawks and harriers, since they are in a separate family (Pandionidae). Ospreys can be found on all continents (except Antarctica, of course 😃)

FWIW, the second bird looks like a Red Shouldered Hawk to me, with translucent crescents near the tip of the wings which are, I think, a good marker. Also dark eyes and squared wings.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PascalNJ said:

looks like a Red Shouldered Hawk to me, with translucent crescents near the tip of the wings which are, I think, a good marker.

That's what I was thinking as well... 
Though I usually trust Akiley's ID's so I'm curious what the reasoning is behind that suggestion. 🙂  Details please?  🙂

16 minutes ago, millipede said:

That's what I was thinking as well... 
Though I usually trust Akiley's ID's so I'm curious what the reasoning is behind that suggestion. 🙂  Details please?  🙂

Sorry..  I know not.  You can see what Aikley wrote right? 

1 hour ago, PascalNJ said:

Note that Ospreys are only distant relative to eagles, hawks and harriers, since they are in a separate family (Pandionidae). Ospreys can be found on all continents (except Antarctica, of course 😃)

Excellent point.  It may be that the bird we call an Osprey here in North America is what Geam Liang knows as a Sea Eagle at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PascalNJ said:

FWIW, the second bird looks like a Red Shouldered Hawk to me, with translucent crescents near the tip of the wings which are, I think, a good marker. Also dark eyes and squared wings.

I believe the five "fingers" (emarginated primaries) are also good for Red-shouldered.  Broad-wings have four.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

What makes you think Broad-winged?  I think the tail pattern (thin white bands and thick dark bands) fits Red-shouldered better and it also has some reddish color on its head and shoulders.

The patterning on the breast looks better for Broad-winged IMO. The wings look a little shorter than the long wings of a RS. I find that the tail banding isn't that useful of a field mark as it's variable and often hard to assess. 

1 hour ago, akiley said:

The patterning on the breast looks better for Broad-winged IMO. The wings look a little shorter than the long wings of a RS. I find that the tail banding isn't that useful of a field mark as it's variable and often hard to assess. 

What about the black and white primaries coming in?