Whatbird Community

Roseate Spoonbill - need to confirm this

Taken mid April, 2018 at Sea World Orlando, beside the main lake.  I think the 1st pic is the adult although the deep pink is not too distinct and it appears to be making a nest up on a tree - low branch, about 5-6 feet off the ground.   The 2nd and 3rd pic should be the juvenile right as they don't have the deep pink shoulder patch.  Thanks.

Roseate Spoonbill adult2.jpg

Roseate Spoonbill juvenile2.jpg

Roseate Spoonbill juvenile5.jpg

• Like 1

I want to make sure I'm reading the question AND the answers correctly as people(and me) can lose what's really being asked sometimes. I know I lose people with my questions sometimes. HA...

The question isn't whether or not they're roseate spoonbills but if the first is an adult and the other is a juvenile... right?  And are the answers confirming that?
I wanted to make sure people aren't thinking the question is about whether they're spoonbills or not... as that was my first thought when I saw the title... I thought, how could anyone be uncertain on THAT bird?  ha. 

I've only seen these birds in person once, here in Arkansas of all places. Looking at the guide I can see where your question comes from but agree with your opinion that the first is an adult... that darker pink isn't extreme but it's noticeably darker than the younger bird and there's some black coming in on the head. I'm learning a little as I'm looking at these. Hopefully I'll see more of these in the future. The ones we saw were off a ways and my camera is only so so... so my pictures aren't great. Yours look like you were up close to the bird... nice shots.

If that is building a nest and it's a place you get to go to often enough, you may get to get more photos of young when they come around... that'll be exciting. Just make sure you exercise good birding etiquette and not get close so you can avoid putting stress on the birds. Some people will even argue against taking pictures of bird nests all together. I personally think it's okay if you're at a great enough distance and not actually stressing the birds... just use caution and good judgement. 🙂

6 hours ago, millipede said:

I want to make sure I'm reading the question AND the answers correctly as people(and me) can lose what's really being asked sometimes. I know I lose people with my questions sometimes. HA...

The question isn't whether or not they're roseate spoonbills but if the first is an adult and the other is a juvenile... right?  And are the answers confirming that?
I wanted to make sure people aren't thinking the question is about whether they're spoonbills or not... as that was my first thought when I saw the title... I thought, how could anyone be uncertain on THAT bird?  ha. 

I've only seen these birds in person once, here in Arkansas of all places. Looking at the guide I can see where your question comes from but agree with your opinion that the first is an adult... that darker pink isn't extreme but it's noticeably darker than the younger bird and there's some black coming in on the head. I'm learning a little as I'm looking at these. Hopefully I'll see more of these in the future. The ones we saw were off a ways and my camera is only so so... so my pictures aren't great. Yours look like you were up close to the bird... nice shots.

If that is building a nest and it's a place you get to go to often enough, you may get to get more photos of young when they come around... that'll be exciting. Just make sure you exercise good birding etiquette and not get close so you can avoid putting stress on the birds. Some people will even argue against taking pictures of bird nests all together. I personally think it's okay if you're at a great enough distance and not actually stressing the birds... just use caution and good judgement. 🙂

Thank you...  and on my part, I'll need to put more thoughts into the Title and back it up with clarity on the questions...  appreciate it.

19 hours ago, Geam Liang said:

Taken mid April, 2018 at Sea World Orlando, beside the main lake.  I think the 1st pic is the adult although the deep pink is not too distinct and it appears to be making a nest up on a tree - low branch, about 5-6 feet off the ground.   The 2nd and 3rd pic should be the juvenile right as they don't have the deep pink shoulder patch.  Thanks.

Roseate Spoonbill adult2.jpg

Roseate Spoonbill juvenile2.jpg

Roseate Spoonbill juvenile5.jpg

Nice shots! 

• Thanks 1