Whatbird Community
Geam Liang

Sparrow like bird with unique spots on its breast

Early May in Washington DC at the Glover Archbold Park (walked from the north end, the Newark Street Dog Park to the south till the Reservoir Road NW)

This is the ONLY photo I could get...

EE1.jpg

This is where I'm not a big fan of the drawings in field guides like Sibley's...  My first thought when I saw this was also wood thrush... because the spotting. I can't say what it is... is it the shape of the spots? I don't know but my instinct was wood thrush... so I looked at sibley's to compare and, well I can't tell many of them apart by the spots in those pictures.

So, with this single view of this bird, what is making this a wood thrush?  Only asking to learn. 🙂

1 hour ago, millipede said:

This is where I'm not a big fan of the drawings in field guides like Sibley's...  My first thought when I saw this was also wood thrush... because the spotting. I can't say what it is... is it the shape of the spots? I don't know but my instinct was wood thrush... so I looked at sibley's to compare and, well I can't tell many of them apart by the spots in those pictures.

So, with this single view of this bird, what is making this a wood thrush?  Only asking to learn. 🙂

I searched through my folders and I found several shots of this bird - this being the best - which is taken at the different time/place but same area.  Is this the same bird... ?

Wood Thrush2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Geam Liang said:

I searched through my folders and I found several shots of this bird - this being the best - which is taken at the different time/place but same area.  Is this the same bird... ?

Wood Thrush2.jpg

Yes, Wood Thrush.