Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Owl ID and another bird.

Photo 1. Spotted in November in Southern Ontario during a snowstorm. I have seen this one before in the same location but cannot find it in my guide books.

Photo 2. A few days ago in South Ontario. The bird flew into these trees and then disappeared completely. It happened so quickly I had no chance to determine size or colour but it was definitely a bird. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Hawk ID HVT-1020001.jpg

Bird ID HVT-7214138.jpg

Top one sure looks like a deterrent bird, perhaps to keep pigeons or gulls from fouling the area.The bird in tree, hard to see, does not appear to have ears, which narrows things down.It has facial disks.Looks like there may be two birds in that second image,a gray one with outstretched wings and below that the brown one. A breeding pair of Northern Harriers.?

Edited by John Landon
More insights

Oh dear, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Both of these are true incidents which I saved up for today, but I should stop things before people get annoyed with me.

The first one I was out looking for a L-b-b Gull and spotted this in the snow. It took me a few minutes to figure it out.

The second one - I am always amazed how the experts come up with an ID based on next to nothing. So this happened recently (typical of many of my outings) and is an example of absolutely nothing to work with. I am fairly sure the bird completely disappeared - if someone does spot something it is a bonus.

I promise never to do this again.

PS. I was relying on Charlie to spot this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

PS. I was relying on Charlie to spot this.

Bizarrely enough, we are changing company names where I work.  No, it is not joke, but I've busy catching the items we missed on Friday.  I know, it's hard to believe, but I do actually do some work when I can't otherwise dodge it, so I didn't see this one until just now.  So to satisfy your itch,

The first is a Regurgitary Buteo, a raptor species that preys on gulls.  It hangs out around the docks similar the way Cooper's and Sharpies frequent backyard bird feeders.  The name comes from its diet, because if you had to eat gulls then you'd probably upchuck too.

Look closely at the second photo and you can see crows and jays mobbing the owls.

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

The first is a Regurgitary Buteo, a raptor species that preys on gulls.  It hangs out around the docks similar the way Cooper's and Sharpies frequent backyard bird feeders.  The name comes from its diet, because if you had to eat gulls then you'd probably upchuck too.

Nice one - I might use this as we have a few dotted around the area, maybe they are breeding?

Happy April 1.

I've also seen them around chicken coops and corn fields.  Oddly, they almost never prey on the chickens.

They have breeding issues.  They're very territorial, and I've never seen two of them together.