Whatbird Community

Photographed this little bird today, Northern Ca, mid day, ranch setting lots of oak trees with creek. Thanks my guess male yellow rumped warbler? The white under side and black chest is throwing me.

825D378F-1128-4965-8CA6-FE7FFBA741BB.jpeg

Yep, Yellow-Rumped.

@cvanbosk, they probably migrate out of FL before they shift into breeding plumage.  I have them in winter clothes at my feeders, and every spring the first one in breeding colors has me wondering, "What is that" ... Oh, yeah."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cvanbosk said:

They never look like that here in Florida.

This is an Audubon's... yellow-rumped warbler Like here in Arkansas, the Myrtle form is more likely. For some time they've discussed splitting the two into separate species but for now they're just sub-species or forms, like how there are different dark-eyed juncos.
That yellow throat is the biggest giveaway for it being an Audubon's.
Yellow-rumped warblers are an interesting and sometimes frustrating bird. Their bland winter uniforms sometimes leave people scratching their heads, wondering what they're seeing... and then, at least for me, this time of year they start to sing after being here for a while and somehow I've forgotten, since last year, what that sound is. HA. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, millipede said:

This is an Audubon's... yellow-rumped warbler Like here in Arkansas, the Myrtle form is more likely. For some time they've discussed splitting the two into separate species but for now they're just sub-species or forms, like how there are different dark-eyed juncos.
That yellow throat is the biggest giveaway for it being an Audubon's.
Yellow-rumped warblers are an interesting and sometimes frustrating bird. Their bland winter uniforms sometimes leave people scratching their heads, wondering what they're seeing... and then, at least for me, this time of year they start to sing after being here for a while and somehow I've forgotten, since last year, what that sound is. HA. 

Correct. @cvanbosk the reason why they don't look like that in FL is because Audubon's Warbler is a rare vagrant to the east.

• Like 1