Whatbird Community
John Landon

Tough gull identification

Yesterday 4/1 SW Ohio, the Bonapartes are starting to move in gradually. Second image is a Bonnie. First image I shrugged off as another but upon further review .... The gull in question was resting and would not move, and I had no intention of disturbances.(never have a dog walker on the beach when you need one) .Franklins are uncommon but usually in fall, Laughing would be off the charts. The 270 degree eye ring ,along with the extent of the sooty head and cheeks makes me doubt my initial thoughts. Bonaparte in early spring plumage for comparisons.Bill may seem a little stouter.9B52881A-60BD-4880-B7FE-E4ECAA01AEF0.thumb.jpeg.a45a930b2c40e2645e06c3a9d1e5b884.jpeg453B5295-D471-4117-B761-8C75D14A492B.thumb.jpeg.a4fda360b875c1c7eddecf6eb1bc52f8.jpeg

Edited by John Landon
Wrong verbage

Seems like it is not a Bonaparte's, especially given that I have been corrected in the past for trying to list a similar looking gull as a Bonaparte's. Did a quick google image search and the amount of black on the head plus the eye ring look to be a perfect match for Franklin's.

I put these through iBird Photo Sleuth. The second one is indeed a Bonaparte’s, and the results for the first showed that the app had a 92% confidence that it’s a Franklin’s, with 4% for Bonaparte’s. Little Gull was also an option, but it’s almost certainly not that.

Thanks to all.While sitting here, I got to wondering if this bird should have some amount of red in the bill tip.Adults should have them irregardless of molt but I am not certain when immature start showing this , being a 2 year gull.

Well, I have researched myself out of calling this a Franklin’s, given the information in the image. Without being able to see the leg color,black/reddish vs red/orange for the Bonaparte.The bill still has me spooked,should have some red in it by now.And the tips of the primaries should have white tips, which I am not seeing.

To my (very) inexpert eyes it looks most like a Franklin’s Gull. It could just be the white wing tips aren’t apparent due to the way it is sitting with the wings pulled in and feathers puffed up. It could be a first year...