Whatbird Community

Welcome to Whatbird!

Can you give us some more information, like where you saw the bird, what kind of habitat, and the bird's behavior, etc?

First thought is leucistic grackle as they tend to get leucism on their heads. Yes, location, behavior, and habitat would help a lot.

Sometimes I'll think for a second that a large white bird flew by my window when it was actually a normal crow with its feathers shining very brightly in the sun.  Could that be what it was?

Dear Bird Nuts,

It was definitely a white head -- I saw it clearly as the bird took off.  It had a large wing span, was about as big as a raven, and was completely black except for its white head.

Posted (edited)

What city/state? if it's in the southern states could be a Mississippi Kite?

Edited by Kerri

I've learned the hard way that, if you are at any appreciable distance from the subject, your ability to determine size is greatly diminished.  Bald eagle would be my guess, not knowing the distance from the subject.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, papernpaste said:

I've learned the hard way that, if you are at any appreciable distance from the subject, your ability to determine size is greatly diminished

indeed... unless you have something specific to reference to... say another bird nearby you can identify easily...

6 hours ago, Metaquatic said:

White-crowned Pigeon in Key West or South Florida?

I thought this comment was out of place til I looked it up and realized you're making a suggestion. Interesting bird... I wasn't familiar with them.

Joie, it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to answer this with no picture and not a ton of detail... Mysteries like this are a little fun but also VERY frustrating for me. I like knowing... and hate not knowing. HA. 
We'd need a lot more detail... habitat... behavior... anything the bird could be compared to... sounds...  any info MIGHT help... I say might because in the end, we're just guessing. And sometimes when someone describes what they see, then people give suggestions, it's easy to then take those suggestions and go along with them and still not REALLY be sure.

They've offered a few possibilities... have you considered any of them yet?
I honestly wish I could really help here. I have lots of birds go unidentified from time to time... ones that fly over or through the area and are gone before I can get a good enough look.