Whatbird Community
Geam Liang

Is this a Northern Mockingbird?

Durham, NC - specifically to the Duke Gardens back in 2013 (late July, early August timeframe)  Is this the Northern Mockingbird?  I get thrown off because of pics 2 & 3, it has some kind of a tuft or crest?

Northern Mockingbird tbd1.jpg

Northern Mockingbird tbd1a.jpg

Northern Mockingbird tbd1b.jpg

17 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I agree with @MerMaeve.  Northern Mocks don't have crests, and are lighter gray with white wing bars and a longer tail 

Thanks... that's what I thought.. the crest is confusing.. but I shot this on the same tree, same time period.  Those 2 ARE Northern Mockingbirds right?

Northern Mockingbird tbd3.jpg

Northern Mockingbird tbd3a.jpg

Fairly certain the 1st is a Gray Catbird and the second one is an Eastern Kingbird. 😊 Gray Catbirds are in the same family as Northern Mockingbirds (mimidae) though, so very close! 

Edited by Winter
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Winter said:

Fairly certain the 1st is a Gray Catbird and the second one is an Eastern Kingbird. 😊 Gray Catbirds are in the same family as Northern Mockingbirds (mimidae) though, so very close! 

Wow...  I am so, so thankful for all your expert help.  Learning tons of stuff here.  Appreciate it.

I am by all means not an expert at all, haha, (but thanks); I simply happen to see these species quite often so am really familiar with their subtle differences. 

Do wait for one of the real experts to chime in first in case I’m mistaken. 😅

Edited by Winter

take some time to learn the sounds a little(and hopefully not get overwhelmed...) slowly you'll start picking some of these up before you even see them. And those eastern kingbirds... other than being a dark flycatcher kind of bird there, that white tip to the tail is something that will help you in ID'ing them in the field.

9 hours ago, millipede said:

take some time to learn the sounds a little(and hopefully not get overwhelmed...) slowly you'll start picking some of these up before you even see them. And those eastern kingbirds... other than being a dark flycatcher kind of bird there, that white tip to the tail is something that will help you in ID'ing them in the field.

@millipede, FYI, @Geam Liang lives in Malaysia.  These photos are from trips he's made in the past.  I don't know if he's going to have the opportunity to learn calls of N.A. birds.  :classic_biggrin: