Whatbird Community

Durham, NC - specifically at a feeder in the Duke Gardens back in 2013 (late July, early August timeframe).  Earlier I had submitted a photo of a similar brownish bird with streaks on its belly and was identified as a female House Finch.  See the 4th pic.   The 1st and 2nd pic shows one without any streaking... is the one with the streaks a juvenile?

Sparrow or Finch DG tbd1a.jpg

Sparrow or Finch DG tbd5.jpg

Sparrow or Finch DG tbd6.jpg

House Finch female1.jpg

10 minutes ago, hbvol50 said:

bird with head in the feeder is first pic looks like a male house sparrow; the rest are house finches

Thanks... you're so observant.. now that you mentioned it, I'm seeing the dark throat of the male House Sparrow.

You have two House Sparrows - a male with its head in the feeder in the first photo, and a juvenile in the second photo.  There is a House Finch in photos 1, 3, and 4.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

58 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

You have two House Sparrows - a male with its head in the feeder in the first photo, and a juvenile in the second photo.  There is a House Finch in photos 1, 3, and 4.

Oh...  I thought pic #2 was a House Finch.   Will make the correction in my folder, thanks.

2 hours ago, Geam Liang said:

Oh...  I thought pic #2 was a House Finch.   Will make the correction in my folder, thanks.

Compare the House Sparrow in #2 with the House Finch in #4.  The finch is mostly tan with brown streaks all over.  The wings are slightly darker than the body and there's a bit of white wing bar.  The sparrow has almost no streaks.  Her wings are a much darker brown than the body, with pale edges and no noticeable wing bars.