Whatbird Community

1 minute ago, Kerri said:

Disclaimer - I am a "newbie" at identifying birds. The tail screams "accipiter" to me...except for the white fluffy "overskirt"  but from what I've read it is the buteo's that fly "straight winged". I was looking at the GosHawk. I think Sparrowhawk and Long tailed Hawk fit best but obviously not in Colorado :).

The overskirt is normal. I'm pretty sure a lot of birds have it, but a lot of the time it's not visible. Although buteos do fly straight winged, Cooper's are known for doing it and that is in fact one of the defining marks over Sharp-shinned. Also not a buteo because of how skinny and long the tail is. A buteo's tail is shorter and more often fanned out. Adult Goshawks are gray, immature Goshawks are brown. Adult Cooper's are this orange color. Also you can see a dark hood over the top of the head in the second photo, indicating Cooper's. Hope this helps 🙂

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Melierax said:

I took too long with my post 😛

Haha ...so did I that's why I changed my answer after I read everyone's comments :) I appreciate your birding tips very much. Thank you.

• Like 1
Just now, Kerri said:

Haha ...so did I that's why I changed my answer after I read everyone's comments 🙂 I appreciate your birding tips very much. Thank you.

No problem! Don't be afraid to suggest your own opinions because everyone can learn from it 😉