Whatbird Community

1 hour ago, cvanbosk said:

My guess is Forster's.

Thanks, cvanbosk. And if I'm not mistaken, Forster's would be expected over Common. 

My initial impression was Roseate, which another birder agreed with. The photo could be deceiving, so I'd like to see more photos.

6 minutes ago, akiley said:

My initial impression was Roseate, which another birder agreed with. The photo could be deceiving, so I'd like to see more photos.

Thanks. I think I have two more. I'll check this evening.

I read that Roseate don't have the dark trailing edge on the wings that we see in the photos above. Is that accurate?

Here are the other two photos. All are heavily cropped. I think I may have lightened the first two a bit. These are not lightened.

Tern 3 4-7-19.JPG

Tern 4 4-7-19.JPG

I still like Roseate here. That’s a solid bird for SC. I would want more opinions though, as I haven’t seen that species in years. 

• Like 1

I have experience with Roseate Tern. That's what I still believe it is. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, akiley said:

I have experience with Roseate Tern. That's what I still believe it is. 

Thanks. What about the dark trailing edge on the primaries that meghann mentioned?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Thanks. What about the dark trailing edge on the primaries that meghann mentioned?

A bit of dark in the trailing edge to the primaries is not atypical for Roseste. Is this a little more than I’d like to see on a Roseate? Maybe. But I don’t think it rules it out.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, akiley said:

A bit of dark in the trailing edge to the primaries is not atypical for Roseste. Is this a little more than I’d like to see on a Roseate? Maybe. But I don’t think it rules it out.

My thoughts exactly. Generally, they tend to show a little less color there, but there is enough that looks right about this bird to call it a Roseate in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Guess you'll have to see what the ebird reviewer says, as there is only one record of a Roseate in the entire state of SC on ebird. . .. ever. Lol.

I'm still skeptical, but terns aren't my strong suit.

Trying to learn here. You Roseate supporters ... what are you seeing that eliminates Forster’s?

Another way of saying the above is what are you seeing that supports Roseate? I'm color deficient so forgive me if I'm missing the rosy tinge on the belly, but the extent of dark on the wingtips supports Forster's as does the color of the bill (per Sibley, ROST don't get color in the bill until July). 

What is it about the bird that gives you a ROST feeling? I would have called it FOTE without a second thought.

• Like 2