Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Abe

Playback Sounds: Brown Crested Flycatcher

I have a question regarding bird calls, and if playback sounds attract the same species.

I was in the Tonto National Forest, Beeline Highway 87 (NE of Phoenix, AZ) on Apr 9, 2019 (yesterday) and heard an unfamiliar bird singing by sycamore trees along a creek. I knew a Brown Crested Flycatcher had been sighted in the area the previous year, on that date, although none have been recorded in Arizona in April so far this year, per eBird.

So I played the Brown Crested Flycatcher calls using Sibley Sounds to see if that was the sound. Amazingly, the bird in the below photo immediately flew from about 100 yards away and sat in the tree next to me, however I think this bird is an Ash Throated Flycatcher because the bill does not appear large enough for a Brown Crested.

QUESTION:

1) Please confirm if this is an Ash Throated Flycatcher

2) Would an Ash Throated Flycatcher respond to Brown Crested Flycatcher calls? (they sound quite different).

P3340016.thumb.JPG.94d5f164a45982733bb060a0dfbb6837.JPG

P3340026.thumb.JPG.0193cd413571cce8f0d6d2067e5cfc7b.JPG

P3340023.thumb.JPG.17a102a34d6cbca9e3d81059b960aade.JPG

P3330990.thumb.JPG.503ad09b8118aa1e116b832fada6095d.JPG

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Abe said:

I have a question regarding bird calls, and if playback sounds attract the same species.

I was in the Tonto National Forest, Beeline Highway 87 (NE of Phoenix, AZ) on Apr 9, 2019 (yesterday) and heard an unfamiliar bird singing by sycamore trees along a creek. I knew a Brown Crested Flycatcher had been sighted in the area the previous year, on that date, although none have been recorded in Arizona in April so far this year, per eBird.

So I played the Brown Crested Flycatcher calls using Sibley Sounds to see if that was the sound. Amazingly, the bird in the below photo immediately flew from about 100 yards away and sat in the tree next to me, however I think this bird is an Ash Throated Flycatcher because the bill does not appear large enough for a Brown Crested.

QUESTION:

1) Please confirm if this is an Ash Throated Flycatcher

2) Would an Ash Throated Flycatcher respond to Brown Crested Flycatcher calls? (they sound quite different).

I won't speculate on your flycatcher ID, I have a hard enough time with local birds never mind different species from different ranges, but I will speculate on the playback of the Brown-Crested Flycatcher sounds. I speculate, and I am no authority on bird calls, but I speculate that ANY bird might respond to a playback recording if they feel the bird they think they are hearing appears as a threat to their nesting territory. If an ash-throated flycatcher heard a brown-crested flycatcher getting comfortable in it's territory, it might try to discourage the brown-crested flycatcher from nesting in the same area and come looking for the source of the intruding sounds. Again, I am only speculating but I could see birds responding to other bird calls for territorial reasons.

Edited by lonestranger

The pale yellow belly and considerable gray on the breast look perfect for Ash-throated to me, though I've never seen Brown-crested (that I know of).

I can tell you that when a Swamp Sparrow (rare here in New Mexico) is reported and you and a friend try playing Swamp Sparrow songs, every Song Sparrow around pops up but you don't see hide nor hair of the Swamper.