Whatbird Community

HI! Have seen this beauty twice now in my back yard in eastern NC on a small crepe myrtle tree. The size of a rock dove,  this pigeon has a rosy pink breast. Only seen it from the front as its quite shy.  Hope someone knows what it is and has suggestions on how and what to put out for food. THX!

Hi! It could be a Rock Pigeon/Dove; they come in a lot of colors, and a pink breast is one of the variations. They eat seeds and will eat some food scraps; I believe millet is a favorite for them?? Can you get a photo maybe? That would help with the ID.

I've moved this to the general ID forum; you should get more answers quickly here.

My guess, without a photo, would be a Mourning Dove. Is the crepe myrtle tree in bloom now? If so, it would be possible that the bird appears to have a pink breast because the natural lighting could be causing it to pick up a pinkish tint from the tree blossoms. 🙂 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, Littlequacker said:

Hope someone knows what it is and has suggestions on how and what to put out for food. THX!

If you can get a picture, that will help. I agree with the possibilities of a pigeon(their variations are quite fascinating) or a mourning dove.

Either one should feed from some mixed seed or corn or something on the ground. That could bring in other birds you might not want(cowbirds, starlings, etc) and squirrels but doves and pigeons both should come in for that.