Whatbird Community

Rufous-Sided Towhee?

Date: Today

Habitat: Shallow pond/marsh/mixed forest/ brush

Rufous-Sided Towhee 1.JPG

@STUDAR the old 'Rufous-Sided' was split into two species several years ago.  The species in the east is the Eastern Towhee; the western species is the Spotted Towhee.  If you made your ID based on a field guide, you might consider getting a newer one. 

Nice photo, by the way!

Thank you!  Yes, my field guide had both designations.  I did not know the one I decided to use was obsolete, as no distinction was made.  Its the "Reader's Digest book of North American Birds".  Though its from 2015, it looks like it the contents may be from 2005.

Thank you everyone for the information!

When changes are recent, often field guides will list both names, although usually they will indicate which is the obsolete one. Maybe check the informational part of the book to see if there is a convention, like the first name listed is the new one, or the old one is in parentheses, something like that.

It's also possible that your field guide was reprinted in 2015 but it was not a new edition. 

And in any case, don't worry - you figured out what your bird is. Changes are made every year so the Internet can be a great resource for keeping track of them.

• Like 1

Excellent.  Yes, I believe I just have a reprint, so the information is a bit dated.  No additional information exists in this volume concerning this topic, but now I know anyway. 🙂

Take care everyone!