Whatbird Community

Today, Burke County, near Augusta, GA. High in a tree. Late afternoon sun. Cropped and lightened. Any ideas? Thanks!

Bird sp 1 4-13-19.JPG

Bird sp 2 4-13-19.JPG

Bird sp 3 4-13-19.JPG

Bird sp 5 4-13-19.JPG

Bird sp 4 4-13-19.JPG

Interesting bird...it sure has a sharp, pointed looking bill...it sorta reminds me of a Clark's Nutcracker but they are not in your range area so I'm not much help. 🙂 

• Like 1

That is the drabest bird I've ever seen.  Medium gray over light, with black wing tips.  No marking, no streaks, no wing bars, no eye ring.  Proportions and posture are all wrong for Gray Catbird; also no reddish vent and too pale.

Some type of flycatcher?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Could it be a gnatcatcher? Can’t really see how long the tail is, but, with some imagination, there is almost an eye ring visible in the second photo.

Edited by cvanbosk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cvanbosk said:

Could it be a gnatcatcher?

The expected one in HamRHead's area is the Blue-Gray, and they have well-defined eye rings.  The bill looks too long, too.

Besides, I think even @HamRHead can ID one of those without too much help.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cvanbosk said:

Could it be a gnatcatcher? Can’t really see how long the tail is, but, with some imagination, there is almost an eye ring visible in the second photo.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher is a good suggestion. While they don't usually hold still for photos, this bird is busy preening. It does look quite brown for a gnatcatcher but that may have to do with the low angle of the sun.

2 minutes ago, Liam said:

I agree, this is a female Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Thanks. And a perfect example that perception of size can be misleading. Blue-gray gnatcatchers are about the size of my thumb and I thought for sure this bird was the size of an Eastern Phoebe.

• Like 1