Whatbird Community

I spotted this bird in Portland, OR last week feeding in/on Oregon Grape plants.  I could not get a good shot of the entire bird nor could I tell if it was feeding on insects or if it was after pollen in the flowers.  I was guessing it might be a Yellow Warbler.

32694056047_bd3d44a1de_c.jpg

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Whatbird!

Looks like an Orange-crowned Warbler. Yellow Warblers would have very little facial pattern, much brighter yellow and reddish streaks down the front. 

Edited by Melierax

1 hour ago, Melierax said:

Welcome to Whatbird!

Looks like an Orange-crowned Warbler. Yellow Warblers would have very little facial pattern, much brighter yellow and reddish streaks down the front. 

Some females/juveniles/non-breeding Yellows don't show the red streaks, but I agree, this is not a Yellow.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

Some females/juveniles/non-breeding Yellows don't show the red streaks, but I agree, this is not a Yellow.

Oh, true.

Here is another shot of what I believe is the same type of bird.  This shot was taken in a different area but in the same neighborhood a few days earlier.  The lighting was poor, but maybe it will help with the ID.

47637663351_fe317f60c2_c.jpg

21 minutes ago, Fallriverguy said:

Here is another shot of what I believe is the same type of bird.  This shot was taken in a different area but in the same neighborhood a few days earlier.  The lighting was poor, but maybe it will help with the ID.

47637663351_fe317f60c2_c.jpg

Yep, that’s another Orange-crowned.