Whatbird Community

Phinizy Swamp Nature Park, Augusta, GA; today.

As the name says, it's a swampy wetlands.  Several large retention lakes have heavy wetlands growth around them, four to six feet tall - cattails and other wetland grasses.  

Several times today I heard a call from the tall growth that I can't identify.  (No surprise.)  It started with a loud 'WHUK' sound, repeated three to tive times, lasting about 2 seconds.  It then continued for another four calls, each decreasing in tone and volume, and slowing between repetitions.

WHUK-WHUK-WHUK-WHUK . WHUK .. Whuk ... whuk .... whuk

I never saw a possible suspect.  Birds I did see included GBHE, LBHE, SNEG, GREG, CAEG.  Rails are known to be there.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted (edited)

I found some similarities on AAB.  It's a bit like a Common Gallinule but deeper, or like a Least Bittern but the note is repeated more often.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Try Pied-billed Grebe. If you have the iBird app, at least on Android, it is the first sound recording--Pied-billed Grebe 1.

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  There were plenty of them yesterday.   They must be like wrens, capable of producing sounds louder than you'd expect for their body size.

EDIT: Out of reactions again!  

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Long shot here  - but what you are describing sounds to me like grouse "drumming"?

25 minutes ago, Kerri said:

Long shot here  - but what you are describing sounds to me like grouse "drumming"?

Way long, I think.  Are there any grouse that would be standing in a couple of feet of water in a Georgia marsh?

I did play a couple of grouse calls but the two I tried start slow and speed up, not the other way around, and they were more hollow than what I heard.

Thanks!

• Like 1