Whatbird Community
Charlie Spencer

Considering moving from P&S to DSLR - Advice, please.

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Maybe I'm not following you, but this advice sounds contrary to one of my issues.

I would agree with you if my goal was to take artistic photos, but my primary goal is to take identifiable photos.  If I want to get a bird who's partially obscured by a leaf, branch, etc, wouldn't I be happier with a lot of depth?   I don't want the bird in the background blurred; he's my subject.  And in other situations, the background environment can give clues to the bird's identity.  Wouldn't greater depth give me a better chance of having the obscured bird in the near background be more in focus, reducing how accurately I have to focus  and saving time before taking the shot?

Hi Charlie

I don't think you appreciate the the single point focus setting I specified for bird photography. When employed one places the little box in the viewfinder on the bird (like using a sight on a gun) and the bird and a little space around it will be in focus. Depth of field is almost irrelevant in this situation. My goal is to get an accurate color and detail of the bird not artistic effect Proper identification requires proper detail and realistic color. 

MNhjGTD.jpg

qf3pC57.jpg

aIWrvqu.jpg

These three images should give you an idea what my settings will do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, peter571 said:

I don't think you appreciate the the single point focus setting I specified for bird photography.

I appreciate it, and had set it not long after I purchased the camera.  I didn't know using it basically removed depth of field from consideration.  For what I'm after, having SPF handle that for me is a positive.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I didn't know using it basically removed depth of field from consideration.

There is no correlation between the focus point and depth of field. Using centre point focus makes it easier to avoid the branches and leaves in front of the birds, but it does not affect DOF at all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

There is no correlation between the focus point and depth of field. Using centre point focus makes it easier to avoid the branches and leaves in front of the birds, but it does not affect DOF at all.

Then maybe it's my targeting that's in question!

I'm pretty sure that the better your gear is, the better your auto focus will be, both in speed and accuracy. I stumbled across a video with focusing tips that might be worth looking at, pretty straightforward approach going from beginners to more advanced techniques. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

There is no correlation between the focus point and depth of field. Using center point focus makes it easier to avoid the branches and leaves in front of the birds, but it does not affect DOF at all.

Exactly! However, when shooting with a 300 mm or longer lens your f stop will likely be f5.6, f6.3, or f7.1 which will provide adequate depth of field as long as your focus point is on the bird. You can increase your depth of field by going to f8, f11 etc. but than a longer shutter speed becomes a factor.

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Then maybe it's my targeting that's in question!

Targeting-- getting the focus point in the view finder on the bird is the challenge. You might look into back focusing technique (if your camera allows you to do it). It can be very useful when targeting and shooting.