Whatbird Community
Kudzu

Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk?

Posted (edited)

Is there enough detail on these two bad pics to tell whether the bird is a Sharp-shinned Hawk or Cooper's Hawk? If so, please tell me how you can tell.

sa4tvZp.jpgsa4tvZp.jpg

Edited by Kudzu

Posted (edited)

Thank you! I was still trying to edit the post to delete one of the duplicate photos and add  another, but you obviously didn't need it. And, I have learned something!

Edited by Kudzu
typo

Yes, Cooper's have slightly longer tails than Sharpies, BUT "rounded tail" refers to the shape of the tail when it is spread out -- the tail feathers gradually get shorter towards the outside.  You can't see that in this photo.

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes, Cooper's have slightly longer tails than Sharpies, BUT "rounded tail" refers to the shape of the tail when it is spread out -- the tail feathers gradually get shorter towards the outside.  You can't see that in this photo.

You can definitely see the more rounded vs the straight of the Sharpie from the back with tail closed in most cases. The shorter outer tail feathers are only viewed from the underside.   UNLESS, I am totally misunderstanding what you are saying here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

You can definitely see the more rounded vs the straight of the Sharpie from the back with tail closed in most cases. The shorter outer tail feathers are only viewed from the underside.   UNLESS, I am totally misunderstanding what you are saying here. 

I was saying that the shorter outer tail feathers (which create a rounded tail when spread) are not visible in the OP's photo.  All I see is rounded tips to the feathers.  Or am I not seeing it correctly?