Whatbird Community

Saw a bird today (4/24/19) in South-Central Missouri (Northern Ozarks), flitting between my recently bloomed peach trees and a blooming red oak.  Silhouette and size is White-throated Sparrow-like.  When I glassed it, I was shocked to see a roufous-crown (bigger in extent/coverage even than the Chipping Sparrow, but roughly same color), white to yellow face with a thin dark line separating face and breast, yellow breast, brown wings and tail with white/dark brown or black edging (very defined patterns), and yellow lower rear.  I think the rump is brown like the back and wings.  It was very striking!  But, it is driving me crazy not knowing what it is!   Thanks for any help!

SG... no, roufous cap, similar in color to Chipping Sparrow, and the yellow was not quite so defined.  As well, no black mask...   Thanks, though!

CS... cap bigger and more defined.  No streaks in yellow.  No yellow tinge in back and wings.  Also, I believe between breast and lower rear there was white.  Thanks, though...

Man!  I'm gonna have to find a way to get a picture!  🙂 

The only bird I can think of with red on the head and yellow on the chest is a Western Tanager but I think that is out of range for you.

Kerri...  No, not a Western Tanager... a bird I really miss these days, BTW.  Used to live out in California and saw 'em all he time... in fact, one of my favorites.  Never seen one in Missouri though.  The only tanager I've seen out here is the Summer Tanager.

The bird I saw today had a more roufous or rust cap (above the eyes, reminiscent of the Chipping Sparrow, but without the eye bar), and the yellow was much more muted than the Tanager.  Also, back and wings were brown (kinda reddish brown), not black.

The birds looked kinda like a Dickcissel with a roufous cap and no black bib (keep the moustache).  Can they look like that?

Posted (edited)

Non breeding Meadowlark or Horned Lark?

Edited by Kerri

Nope, nope and nope.  I know what they all look like, and they're not them.

I have to admit the first thing that went through my mind was Horned Lark, but instead of black "horns" there's the roufous cap.  The black I saw was also below the face, and not near so bold.  Finally, the bird I spotted had yellow on the chest to up under the wings, and yellow on it's lower rear.

Still confused... 😞 

'Car Talk' was a radio show featuring callers with auto problems.  Whenever the call was particularly difficult, Ray complained the producers shouldn't have let it through in the first place.

Sorry, only older NPR listeners would get the reference.  My apologies.  No confusion or offense intended.

And finally, I think I've figured it out.  Looks like Charlie Spencer was correct all along.  I am 99% certain it was a Palm Warbler, Western Race.  I had another opportunity to glass one, and the beak is not as heavy as a sparrow (though it does seem more conical than most warblers!).  It also had a very definite white belly with streaking.  Once I had a good look, I found in my guide book the appropriate discription, especially with "The rusty cap should be looked for in SPRING.  Color of breast and belly VARIES GEOGRAPHICALLY and seasonally from yellow to GRAY." (my emphasis).  Then, right beside the description quoted above, there was a picture of the bird I've been watching, described as the "Western Race" of the Palm Warbler.  What really threw me off was that the bird I've been watching is so much more brilliant than the picture, including the live version's rufous, almost red cap, as compared to the brownish cap in the picture.

Thanks to all who helped and made suggestions.  It is exciting to finally nail one that was so hard to pin down!  👍🙂