Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Alford

All yellow with wing bars

Saw another bird today here in the South-Central Missouri Ozarks that looked like a female yellow warbler, but there were no red streaks.  Is it possible the red streaks come later in the year?  I was close enough to confirm there was no red.  Thanks!

Yes, they can be pretty dull with no streaking. However, be aware that female Hooded Warblers can look fairly similar.

Probably not a Hooded, as the yellow was more consistent through out her body, rather than darker (almost brown) like the hooded.  If they can be without red streaks, I can't find anything else as consistently dull-yellow.  Must be a yellow?

How close? and were you using binoculars? I have to say that, when I look at certain birds, the details I pick up with my naked eye, binoculars, and camera can all be very different. It can be frustrating.

I'm thinking to picture this bird. when you say "all yellow," how yellow was it? Any other color possibly on the bird?  And define the wing bars. I can't imagine a description of a yellow warbler including wing bars. I mean, there's sort of some color there but not what I'd call wing bars personally.

There are a few yellow birds with wing bars but, none of them are "ALL" yellow. Pine warbler comes to mind.
Pictures are easier to work with for ID's, of course... but it's fun to try at these anyway. 🙂

millipede... yeah, I may have to figure out how to get pictures.  I just recently got a good pair of binoculars, which has changed my world!  I never would have seen this bird without binocs. I was chasing a Yellow-rumped Warbler through a tree with the binocs when I came across this bird!  

As far as shade of yellow... well, it was kind of dull, greenish yellow, relatively consistent over her whole body (I say "her" since she wasn't bright like most males are).  The two bars were grayish-green.  She looks just about like the female Yellow Warbler in my Golden Field Guide, except she had no red streaks.

You know, after one more pass through my Golden Guide Book, I wonder if I'm seeing a female Orchard Oriole?  There was a male Orchard Oriole in the area...  I didn't think it was six inches long, but hard to tell when it is 30-35 feet away.  She spent quite a bit of time upside down... is that an identifier of the Orchard Oriole?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Scott Alford said:

As far as shade of yellow... well, it was kind of dull, greenish yellow, relatively consistent over her whole body (I say "her" since she wasn't bright like most males are).  The two bars were grayish-green.  She looks just about like the female Yellow Warbler in my Golden Field Guide, except she had no red streaks.

I don't get that.  I thought female Yellow Warblers never had rufous streaks.  EDIT: OK, they can have rufous streaks, but they can also lack them.

Orchard Oriole would have bright white wingbars.  I think female Yellow Warbler sounds good (but I've been wrong before).

Edited by Jerry Friedman