Whatbird Community
OTWUMASI

Hawks I took a picture of

I took a picture of some hawks.  They live in Houston, Texas.  I took a picture of an adult hawk and a juvenile hawk in the nest.  If anybody can identify this hawk by today that would be great.  Thank you.  

DSCN0565 (2).JPG

DSCN0567 (2).JPG

DSCN0569 (2).JPG

DSCN0570 (2).JPG

DSCN0572 (2).JPG

DSCN0574 (2).JPG

I'm not sure if they are red-tailed hawks because the adult did not have a red tail.  Do you guys or anybody else have any suggestions to what type of hawks these are?  They live in Houston, Texas.

These are definitely Red-tailed Hawks. The red might not be super bright from some angles, and I'm pretty sure that birds hatched last year could still have barring in the tail a little bit.

EDIT: If you look close at the second last photo, you can see a little sliver of the upper tail, and it looks pretty red, and the undertail is clean. I'd say it's probably older.

Edited by egosnell2002
  • Like 1

Seems like a red-tailed hawk to me. With so many different morphs out there, and variations in the brightness of the tail, it is not always apparent when perched that they have a red tail.