Whatbird Community

Bird ID - weird duck like call

Heard this in the woods outside my place today and am completely stumped. Have never heard anything like it before. Search for a while and came up empty. The bird was moving around up in the trees and seemed maybe the size of a crow not a small bird but not a large bird.

It sounds kind of like a duck, but I reiterate that it was up in the trees.

My location is Southeastern Wisconsin.

20180722_104434_1_high_quality.mp3

Edited by Kilr0y

I genuinely tried to get a photo or get a good view of it, but it was very intent on staying buried within the Treetops. My comment that it was about the size of a crow is based on the couple of glances that I got when it moved around from Branch to branch. I did not get any photos worth sharing even though I tried.

There are woodpeckers in the area and I listened to some woodpecker calls, but I definitely do not think this is that. Even if it may be kind of close.

I did think that when I listened to woodpecker calls, some of them were at least in the ballpark. Perhaps a woodpecker with a bad cold? I kid. It's definitely weird. Any idea which woodpecker this would be?

I'm hearing at least 2 robins in the audio.  Not the "duck" call that you are speaking of.  The one is making the loud higher pitched chirps and I can hear another one further in the background.  Not hearing anything like woodpeckers.  Maybe common grackle for the duck like call.

Edited by Jabird

No, Mike 56 is definitely correct about the red bellied woodpecker. You are correct about the robins though, they're everywhere. And I said duck-like, not just duck. The woodpecker has a little bit of a quack to it. If you don't hear the loudest call in the audio sounds just like one of those fake duck whistles then I don't even know what to tell you.

Listen to the Woodpecker clip at the link that Mike provided and it is a spot-on match to the loud sound in the audio. Listen to second of the two, the one from WV. Definitely the same bird. And if the robins stand out to you more than the woodpecker I would get your speakers checked.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-bellied_Woodpecker/sounds

Edited by Kilr0y