Whatbird Community

May 1st, 2019

These were at two different locations after some storms had come through. We believe they're both long-billed... they both responded to long-billed playback and just behaved normally during short-billed.
This one was the most responsive, calling several times except for the time I tried to make a video of it. Long story but I HATE my camera.
digbydow.JPG.fe228e81b1e212d507c10f4ccc01f402.JPG

This one also responded only to the long-billed playback and did peep at us at least once. The bill looks shorter to me but, posture might affect how it appears and, again, it responded to long-billed playback. Also, I'm looking at the older Sibley's and it doesn't mention it as a diagnostic trait but, the images show longer wings on the short-billed than you see on this bird.
The books always say to look at this feature or that but sometimes even looking at the two birds IN the gude, they are VERY hard to distinguish.  Sometimes a description they use for a bird on one page, I feel I see that on the bird next to it. Things get cloudy sometimes. HA...

hatchdow.JPG.938b1ed793f05e2917fa0b79b0634837.JPG

50 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Is that seriously considered a field mark? :classic_blink:

I think it is. Well, not the asparagus and kale part, but the grapefruit part, yes.

• Like 1

I think the first is a LB, not sure on the 2nd,  although I would guess hendersoni SB.

17 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Well, the second one especially looks like it swallowed a grapefruit.

I had NEVER heard that one before. But both are a species I'm not super familiar with. In fact, because they're VERY briefly here once or twice a year, and not seen often... I don't spend a lot of time researching them so, even by sound I need to use playback to get acquainted with them each time I see them. I wish my brain just held onto all data better. 😞 
You know, that second one... I was thinking that extra round appearance was just the way it was posing... thing looks like it has no neck so I was thinking if it's holding it's head down more, that might make it look more plump.
BUT... I just scanned all the photos I took of that one(I can post more if you want) and, it looks short-necked in ALL of them. Even after we got a little closer and disturbed it and when it was foraging. I don't know if that helps at all.

4 hours ago, akiley said:

not sure on the 2nd,  although I would guess hendersoni SB.

I think short-billed are less common here but both have been reported at this location in the past. Any field marks I should pay more attention to?  It only responded to the playback of the long-billed but it was just this one peep sound that we heard from the other one earlier. Using Merlin, there's not a ton of sound files to use for comparison all the time.
I'd like to figure this one out for my eBird reports... 
I'm not a fan of birds that look this much alike. ha

millipede, I do not have experience with dowitcher's. I think I have seen them once, distantly in a freshwater farm pond, non breeding plumage.

I think I first encountered the "swallowed a grapefruit" description here on the forum. If I'm not mistaken it was @MerMaeve who used the term. And I have seen it elsewhere since then. I'm sorry I can't help in any substantive way. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I'm sorry I can't help in any substantive way. 

While I don't like mysteries that much(especially unsolved ones) it's always nice to know(in a way) that people I might to go for ID help can't always be certain... that I'm not the only one that gets stumped with birds sometimes. 🙂 

I asked a local listserv if anyone was good with them. The guy that leads our local Audubon field trips said I could send him the photo and he responded quite quickly with the following:

The photo is a Long-billed Dowitcher. Distinct white edgings on the dark feathers is very typical of L-b . Plus all that busy patterning on the neck is not typical of hendersoni, which also does not have the white feather edgings.

Thoughts? Arguments? agreements? 

Posted (edited)

Anyone else having trouble with the site lately? Will this even work I wonder...  notifications aren't working for me and I just typed up a nice LONG post, rambling about yellow-bellied flycatcher ID issues and, well some hurt feelings of mine... and, it didn't go through. So I'm a bit frustrated... started out frustrated so that just made things work.

I'm tempted, sometimes, to make a new birding forum in case this one keeps on causing problems... but then I remember how not "cool" or popular I am and realize I'd probably end up with another echo chamber of a forum.
meh...

Edit: at least I can reply... not sure why I wasn't able to create a new post.

Edited by millipede
just because

Bummer. I haven't noticed any problems lately...been cautiously optimistic actually. Prematurely so perhaps.

No new topics, at least in this section, in at least 6 hours. Either nobody is looking for ID's in the last 6 hours(which is possible) or I'm not the only one having issues.

Posted (edited)

I haven't seen any issues for a couple of weeks, and I was on frequently this weekend.

If you think you're going to compose a long post, I recommend doing it in NotePad or WordPad, then pasting it into a forum.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Still no new posts in this section of the forum since the other day. And I just went and tried to create a new topic in this section and still can't.
Can you, @Charlie Spencer or anyone else try to create a topic in this section and see if it works?  I still can't open my notifications either.