Whatbird Community

Sparrow in Seattle

10 minutes ago, kms15 said:

Seems like the wrong markings on the head for a song sparrow, no strong brown eye bar or on the crown, also doesn't seem to have enough streaking on the back...but maybe it's the lighting.

I feel like it's an immature Savannah Sparrow. That's my best guess, it's in an area with a lot of other Savannah Sparrows as well (Union Bay Natural Area). But I'm really not sure. As a new birder, I didn't realize how difficult immature sparrows were! I figured this was just an adult I'd never seen before 😛

2 minutes ago, goonshine said:

I feel like it's an immature Savannah Sparrow. That's my best guess, it's in an area with a lot of other Savannah Sparrows as well (Union Bay Natural Area). But I'm really not sure. As a new birder, I didn't realize how difficult immature sparrows were! I figured this was just an adult I'd never seen before 😛

Hmmm, the bill doesn't look quite right to me for a Savannah and your bird seems to have an eye ring...a Lincoln's maybe?  🙂

I live in the PNW...on the WA/OR border and I have not seen any young birds here yet this year, Sparrow or otherwise. The Brewer's Blackbirds, Scrub Jay, and Eurasian Collared-Doves have been nest building like crazy the last couple of weeks. The Bullock Orioles and Western Kingbirds arrived last week but no sign of the Western Bluebirds yet but I expect them anytime now.  Seattle is about a 4-hour drive North of me and in a much different climate than where I am so perhaps the breeding time frame is earlier than in my area.  🙂

• Like 1