Whatbird Community
NanaB

House Sparrows are eating my mealworms!

Hi all!  I've been feeding live mealworms to the Bluebirds, Cardinals, Titmice and Chickadees for several years now and never had any house sparrows take any, but this year they are devouring them as soon as I put any out. Has anyone else had this problem, or any idea how to keep them away from the mealworms?

They are more than likely feeding their chicks with the meal worms.  See if it continues later into the Summer. Hopefully   It will stop but since they are opportunistic feeders, it may not stop.  I don’t know if you want to go to the trouble of trapping them and removing them but I think there are house sparrow traps online.  Sorry this is happening. They are destructive birds in many ways. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions! I bought some bird scare tape and taped a few pieces around the feeder and it seems to be working so far. It freaked ALL of the birds out for a little while but slowly the native birds have started to come back to the feeder, but the house sparrows haven't yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my luck continues!

🙂