Whatbird Community

Birds of prey.

1 hour ago, Avery said:

I personally don’t count captive birds on my life list, because they don’t count on eBird when they are still captive. You can count whatever you want for you life list, I’ve got no problem with that. But, are you saying that you would report the birds in the show on a checklist, or am I misinterpreting this?

Oh, I didn't mean that I would count those captive birds. I don't count captive birds (though some of my Mute Swan records may be and probably are escaped captives that I'm not sure of). I just mean generally if I had been a birder while I was in Europe more broadly, I would have more species on my life list, but because I wasn't, I only have a few species that I can remember, none of which were captive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trevor L. said:

Oh, I didn't mean that I would count those captive birds. I don't count captive birds (though some of my Mute Swan records may be and probably are escaped captives that I'm not sure of). I just mean generally if I had been a birder while I was in Europe more broadly, I would have more species on my life list, but because I wasn't, I only have a few species that I can remember, none of which were captive.

That’s what I figured. Wanted to be sure though! And yeah, I wish I was a birder sooner as well. I’ve been to Las Vegas before for a week, but I was much younger. Also, I’ve missed some pretty cool birds in my area by a few years. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

My only photo of a non-North American Bird Of Pray, a Laughing Falcon that was quite literally a mile away.

2400?__hstc=264660688.fd8e575f7f2fb710f6

Similarly, mine is a little closer, but it was taken with a pocket sized camera on a boat in the canals of Copenhagen, Red Kite!

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/216046201#_ga=2.56005731.937806867.1618401903-684935499.1582840862

Red Kite

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, stitch58 said:

Long-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Barred Owl

Snowy Owl

Eastern Screech Owl

Long.jpg

SE.jpg

barred.jpg

Snowy.jpg

Screech.jpg

Jealous of your Short-eared Owl photo. I managed to see a few but I was never able to get a photo. Florida does get them but I rarely see them reported so my chances were probably better when we still lived in Colorado. Jealous of your Snowy Owl too. I saw one in Colorado and got a photo but it was just far enough away to make getting a good photo impossible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clip said:

Jealous of your Short-eared Owl photo. I managed to see a few but I was never able to get a photo. Florida does get them but I rarely see them reported so my chances were probably better when we still lived in Colorado. Jealous of your Snowy Owl too. I saw one in Colorado and got a photo but it was just far enough away to make getting a good photo impossible.

Got lucky. Was driving around the loop at a wildlife refuge & this guy was flying all over on the hunt. As far as the Snowy goes, they're actually the Owl species I've had the most luck with, particularly back in 2014 when there was a big irruption. Actually had 4 in view at the same time once. Still waiting on my nemesis Northern Saw-whet though.

• Like 4