Jump to content
Whatbird Community
STUDAR

Warbler of Indeterminate Kind

Recommended Posts

Hi all, this one is well beyond my abilities. Apparently, many warblers look like this example when they are immature males.  

Perhaps this is an:

1)  Immature Blackpoll Warbler

2) Immature Bay-breadted Warbler

3) Pine Warbler

4) Female Black-throated Blue Warbler

5) Immature Chestnut-sided Warbler

 

Obviously, I think it is some sort of Warbler 🙂  

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Location: Northern Illinois

Habitat: Mixed forest, Wild Cherry tree, neat a pond and brush-land. 

Date: Yesterday

warbler 1.JPG

warbler 2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nice cherry tree.

If it was in my yard a few months ago, I would have called it a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet.  However, I'm know to mistake many a flycatcher for that species.

All that is my way of saying, "I don't think it's a warbler."  This is the kind of result you can expect when everyone competent / knowledgeable it out birding on a Saturday morning and you're stuck with me and my twisted ankle.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark5 said:

It is indeed a Ruby-crowned Kinglet since it is in Illinois.

Agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Of course, a Kinglet! I should have known by the size....thank you all for your input. The cherries are finally blossoming!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nice cherry tree.

If it was in my yard a few months ago, I would have called it a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet.  However, I'm know to mistake many a flycatcher for that species.

All that is my way of saying, "I don't think it's a warbler."  This is the kind of result you can expect when everyone competent / knowledgeable it out birding on a Saturday morning and you're stuck with me and my twisted ankle.

You should call it that even if it showed up in your yard today...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, birdbrain22 said:

You should call it that even if it showed up in your yard today...

If an RCKI showed up in my SC yard today, I'd call everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

If an RCKI showed up in my SC yard today, I'd call everybody.

I actually had one this past Wednesday up at Mistletoe State Park, but didn't get a picture, so just didn't report it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Kinglet!!!  Of course!! Argh!

 

Until a month or two ago, I did not even know Kinglets existed.  Now, I see that they are not just another finch or sparrow or something. And they seem very prolific here.

 

Thank you all for the great feedback!  Yes, the cherries are finally blooming and it is so nice to see after such a cold, brutal winter. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...