Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedog1us

Hello, Thanks, and a question about a bird i saw.

Hello  again.  It has been quite a while since i posted on this forum.  And a big thanks for being back and allowing me to once again enjoy this forum again.  Now for the question.  Has anyone on here ever seen a Blue Bunting.  I saw what i think is one today.  This bird was in tall grass on the side of a gravel road, in East Feliciana Parish in Louisiana.  He was very dark blue.  He flush as i was approaching him in my vehicle and flew ahead of me for about 30 yards or so.   There are a lot of indigo buntings in this area and i am an avid bird photographer and have taken many pictures of indigo buntings.  This bird was NOT an indigo bunting.  He was a very dark, almost Navy blue bird and is listed in my field guide.  I went to Cornell's site and they don't even have a Blue Bunting listed on their site.  They have several "blue" birds listed but not a blue bunting.  If anyone has ever seen one or know what bird i am talking about please let me know if you would.  I did take a picture about five years ago of a bird exactly like the one i saw today.  But at that time i just figured it was an indigo bunting.  But i know better now.  I cannot find out any sighting of a blue bunting on ebird as i have looked but i think the internet must be playing tricks on me today as it is not listing sightings of ANY bird on that site at present.....Any info will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.  And once again it is good to be back as people on this site have really been very helpful to me in the past....Thanks.

The only one I can think of off hand (without a field guide handy) is a Painted Bunting? ...they're not really dark though.  Maybe post that pic you took 5 years ago?

My iBird app lists a blue bunting. I don’t know anything about them, but maybe this is helpful . . .

28738941237_c2ba1a9f7e_b.jpg

28738941247_032ebdff60_b.jpg

Given the effects of lighting on blue plumages in birds, a quickly-seen apparent Blue Bunting is still most likely an Indigo seen under unusual circumstances. Whether we consider this a vagrant or an escapee, you'll still need good photos to support the ID. (I think I would disagree with the App on considering escapees, simply because I don't think I've ever heard a report of Blue Bunting in the US away from the Rio Grande. Escapees should occur widely if rarely.)

Thank you all for replying.....in all probability it was. or is, an Indigo Bunting as there are literally hundreds of them on this road with several hundred acres of fields with tall grass and grass seeds....Again thanks.