Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
zdgesb84

More SoCal Birds

Thought I saw a notch on that tail feather, but it just looks like a light spot, so I agree with Allen's.  I think your first cormorant is a Brandt's, and I see Brandt's and Double-crested in your group pic.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I had some trouble IDing the darker Brandt's vs. Pelagic, which I've never seen before.

6 minutes ago, zdgesb84 said:

Thanks.  I had some trouble IDing the darker Brandt's vs. Pelagic, which I've never seen before.

Pelagic is a possibility for the single bird, but I think the bill is too thick.  Not positive though. The photo is kind of dark on my phone.

I'm pretty sure when I reviewed all my photos, all Pelagic possibilities were definitely Brandt's.  It was surprising how in one shot they can look so dark and slim, and in the next it was obviously a Brandt's.

You're probably right. Although I live in San Diego county, and have seen countless Brandt's and D.C., I have yet to see a Pelagic. I haven't really looked though. I need to spend a day at the coast, especially the rocky areas. I usually go to the sandy beaches with my family.