Whatbird Community

Brown-crested Flycatcher

I initially thought this was an Ash-throated Flycatcher.  The more I look at it and pics of the Ash-throated Flycatcher that I have, I am now thinking Brown-crested Flycatcher.  The beak size and the deeper yellow underneath made me think differently.  This was in Zion National Park on 05/16/18.  Any thoughts from those out west?  

DSC_6533.JPG

DSC_6554.JPG

DSC_6575.JPG

5 hours ago, John Landon said:

For comparison, this is an Ash from earlier this year.Much smaller bill.F9B128F6-1AE1-46E3-BCEA-760BCED9F40B.thumb.jpeg.94fd07860396551d2ba93d96631ce02c.jpeg

Thay bird is looking away, making the bill look shorter.  Check out the black across the underside of the tip of the tail on the other bird. I've seen both species. The differences are subtle, but there. 

Thanks all.  Ash-throated was my initial thought.  The yellow beneath was the big reason I was starting to stray.  All the Ash-throated I have seen (not many) have had a much lighter yellow.  I then looked at my pics of the Great-crested (Many more living in FL) that I have and thought it was within the range for the larger bill.  Always good to get additional feedback.  Thanks again.