Whatbird Community
stitch58

Butterflies, Moths, Odes & Other Insects

9 hours ago, Lutya said:

Two dragonflies from upstate NY. Any ideas?

The first one looks like some kind of meadowhawk to me, almost like a Variegated Meadowhawk, but I could be wrong.  The second one is certainly in the darner family, Aeshnidae, probably genus Aeshna.  I don't have a reference for eastern dragonflies.

It's too bad we don't have the odonate ID forum any more, but most of the people who helped out there aren't around either.  Maybe @psweet will take a look at this.

I may appreciate your skills of capturing such nice photos. Nice pictures you have clicked. Yes, this grasshopper in the rainy season is the most unwanted guest of a home or in garden areas. My dad is fed up with this kind of pest as they not only disturb the garden areas but also attract other pests like lizards and reptiles like snakes in the house that may find dangerous for human beings. So to get rid of these hoppers and other pests dad took the decision to call pest exterminator UES and to get the pest control done at once glance.

While looking for birds, saw this guy fly by and land in the prairie grass...
DSC_8026.thumb.jpg.25060cb13553c1745158a42940d9cae7.jpg
DSC_8028.thumb.jpg.d4e5a23d5b6d70f6823f2e3300e38e61.jpg
Virginia Ctenucha - DuPage Co., IL

• Like 3

Roseate Skimmer?  I saw this today on Hunting Island, all I can come up with is a roseate skimmer. But when I look it up, SC is not supposed to be in its range.  Anyone know dragonflies?   Thanks in advance 🙂 

IMG_5174.JPG

• Like 1