Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
stitch58

Butterflies, Moths, Odes & Other Insects

Posted (edited)

Blinded Sphinx (photo taken at nearly midnight -- I love my new ring light!!)

original.jpg?1561724211

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

...I love my new ring light!!)

Is that why it was blinded? :classic_blink::classic_laugh:

Edited by HamRHead
  • Haha 1

@The Bird Nuts which lens for that great Blinded Sphinx pic?  I haven’t pulled the trigger on a macro yet, but looks like when I do a ring light may need to be part of it.  My moths tend to still have some blown out areas from on-camera flash and diffuser with kit lens.  

On 6/21/2019 at 3:04 PM, carlinsc said:

Roseate Skimmer?  I saw this today on Hunting Island, all I can come up with is a roseate skimmer. But when I look it up, SC is not supposed to be in its range.  Anyone know dragonflies?   Thanks in advance 🙂 

IMG_5174.JPG

iNaturalist has a ton of sightings in SC of this.  I’m starting to try to load moths and other insects in there as it has a great AI for helping to ID your observations as you enter them.  Along with the human ID help.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:40 AM, chipperatl said:

@The Bird Nuts which lens for that great Blinded Sphinx pic?  I haven’t pulled the trigger on a macro yet, but looks like when I do a ring light may need to be part of it.  My moths tend to still have some blown out areas from on-camera flash and diffuser with kit lens.  

Actually, I'm just using my point-and-shoot for moth photography.  It's a Canon PowerShot SX50.  It has great macro.  I use an adapter ring and attach the ring light to that.

• Like 1

Moth species? 1- inch wingspan. Desmia? Maybe a Grape Leaffolder? But I can't find any examples with the yellow afterburner.:classic_laugh:

Moth sp.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Moth species? 1- inch wingspan. Desmia? Maybe a Grape Leaffolder? But I can't find any examples with the yellow afterburner.:classic_laugh:

Looks like a Pickleworm Moth (Diaphania nitidalis).

• Like 1