Whatbird Community

Butterflies, Moths, Odes & Other Insects

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 9:34 PM, slidinghills said:

Identification help. Please and thank you.

IMG_71101.jpg

You've probably gotten your question answered somewhere else, but that's a darner.  It looks a lot like a Regal Darner, which is found mostly in the coastal plain from Virginia to Texas, but I'm not sure at all.  The location would be helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, Jerry Friedman said:

You've probably gotten your question answered somewhere else, but that's a darner.  It looks a lot like a Regal Darner, which is found mostly in the coastal plain from Virginia to Texas, but I'm not sure at all.  The location would be helpful.

Location is southwestern Alberta in the Rocky Mountains north of Waterton Lakes National Park. Observed near a pond and wetland.

Edited by slidinghills

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

How is this thread different from Bugs?

3 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

I was also wondering about that.

I started this one back in 2018 & it was dormant for a while. When the Bugs thread was started they probably just didn't realize there was a similar existing thread.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yep, still going through old photos. Found these two butterflies that I'm pretty sure I have not shared on Whatbird yet. Funny how some adventures stick with you more than others and I remember this one well. First these photos were taken in November in Colorado which seems a little late for butterflies. Plus I wasn't out birding. I was actually looking for old bottles. I had also taken a trash bag with me and I collected trash while I searched. I was juggling a lot that day though I do think I left my binoculars behind, I did bring my camera. These were life butterflies for me that day and I filled that trash bag. I found one old bottle if memory serves. The butterflies are Lustrous Copper (2) and Bronze Copper.  

048.JPG

056.JPG

064.JPG

• Like 2