Whatbird Community

It's always fun(not always, really) when you see one thing with your eyes, another with binoculars, and maybe still another with a camera. Also fun(not) when you get pictures and/or take notes and then forget what it was you were looking at the next time you look back...  HA

So, there was a hawk over the yard the other day. The image is dark so it makes it more difficult for me. When I first saw it I thought I saw the transparent "commas" you'd expect on a red-shouldered. Then when I looked closer I realized it was just missing feathers there. Now that I'm looking at photos, I can't tell if it could still be a red-shouldered or if it's something else. Based on the tail I'd guess it's a younger bird?  Seems to have a good buteo like shape. Hawks are tricky enough at times but always more frustrating when they're young and certain marks I'm looking for, I'm not finding.

hawk2-517.JPG.9861615dc9630324e537930635e65ee4.JPGhawk517.JPG.7ec6efce4fe3d437269c1005f87a53a1.JPG

Thanks. That was going to be my guess... since it looked like a buteo, I didn't see anything that said RTHA, and I didn't see those crescents on the wings to suggest RSHA, I figured it HAD to be broad-winged. The immature of that species is a tough one for me but I'll get the hang of them eventually. 🙂