Whatbird Community

May 16th in Vermont.  Compact body, extensive translucent patches near the wingtips (all of the primaries), and the sparse streaking has me thinking young Broad-winged.  But the five "wing fingers" points to Red-shouldered.  It looks like some of the primaries are coming in, though, making it difficult for me to tell how many "wing fingers" it actually has.  Is the tail pattern better for Red-shouldered?  Help!

Light area at the base of the primaries means red-shouldered.  Looks like an immature bird

38 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

translucent patches near the wingtips (all of the primaries), and the sparse streaking has me thinking young Broad-winged.

20 minutes ago, hbvol50 said:

Light area at the base of the primaries means red-shouldered.

I meant to reply faster but got distracted by submitting eBird checklists(which is good)  But I was thinking the same thing... that's a red-shouldered trait so I was confused. Then I looked in Sibley's(1st ed.) and see that a molting juvenlie can a similar situations with some translucence in the same area.  This is why I don't like immature birds... HA

With that said, Overall appearance still looks RSHA to me but, again, I really don't like the young ones as far as trying to ID them so definitely wait for some more thoughts.